Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Mile of Pennies....

If you read Cheryl's blog a while back you learned what a penny can really do!

The Children at Church went on a mission a while back to collect a mile of pennies. In case you don't know how many pennies are in a mile, its 84,480 pennies. At the end of the year, they had exceeded their goal collecting 106,000 or $1,066.

With this money they purchase a Cow, A water buffalo, two goats, a flock of chickens, ducks and geese, a share of a pig and a rabbit. WHY?? It was all to benefit Heifer International and the goal to end world hunger.

All animals that were donated were pregnant and so carry on the benefit...

Well, read about it yourself her in this article from the Western Star (4/8/2009).


(Click it to Big It and see Scout!)

Or go here and read Cheryl's story.

3 comments:

Leesa said...

I sometimes wonder, if I wanted to donate nickles instead of pennies, would the children take them as well?

I just notice that word verification is speaking to me. Weird.

~gkw said...

LOL, You have to know the mind of a 4 year old, and I don't!! I know I tried to give her dollars and ended up having to go and get the dollars changed to pennies so she would take them! :)

lori said...

hey uncle gary!! i am so proud of the kids at church! this just goes to show that there is no age limit on what you can do.